Sunday, May 8, 2011

Young Womens

This post is mainly for documentation purposes. I didn't want to forget a few big things that have been happening while serving in Young Womens (I don't think it is correct to put an s at the end but that is how we say it... , ha ha).

The Saturday before Easter, our stake put on an Easter Carnival for preschool aged special needs children. In other words, I know some of the kids were special needs and the rest were underprivileged, impoverished families. The stake provided carnival games and treats as well as lunch for the kids and their families. There was over 1000 people there and of those, at least 300 youth that showed up! it was amazing! The youth also did a food drive beforehand and the principal of the elementary was able to give that food to families that needed it. You wouldn't believe how many poor people live in downtown Provo. There are a lot of families and kids that only get one meal a day. In Provo! It was so wonderful to see the families having a fun time and knowing their stomachs would be full for at least a little while. What a fun way to serve.


The last thing I wanted to mention was the great success we are having with doing Personal Progress for Brecia. Brecia is a 13 year old girl with down syndrome in our ward. She is an amazing person and it is even more amazing to watch the girls in our ward love her completely!! Seriously, I have never seen a girl so showered with love, attention, and hugs. Girls of all ages, Laurels especially, love her so much. As a young womens group, we are doing Brecia's personal progress for her. A few Tuesdays ago, the classes had their own activities and they all decided on their own to do a 10 hour project for Brecia. It was awesome!
I went with the Luarels and cleaned and packed up Sis. Christensen's home as she was moving that week.

The Miamaids made a flower pillow for Brecia (SO CUTE!)

And the Beehives made a quilt and pillow for Brecia
I feel so incredibly lucky to live in such an amazing ward. I know everyone thinks their ward is amazing, but this one seriously is spectacular. I'm scared to live in any other ward because I don't think I ever will live in one so awesome. Everyone is so kind and thoughtful, the youth are absolutely good and have strong testimonies. I have constantly wished my kids were youth right now so they could grow up in such a great environment. Bishop Eisele is so wonderful with the youth. Just to brag a bit, we have somewhere around 13 missionaries out, with many more putting in their papers this summer. All of the boys that Koby has taught in Sunday School (and that we taught in our Single Adult calling) in past years have gone on missions and 4 of our girls are on or have served missions. We also have almost full attendance in our youth groups... and that is about 100 youth!!! The credit goes to such wonderful families and the bishop. Anyhow, just documenting this.... stepping off my pride box. :) It is just fun to be a spectator of such wonderful things. These kids are so much better than I was at their age. It is awe inspiring.

No comments:

Post a Comment